OMRSCCA RallyCross at Mo-Kan Dragway :: 8/1

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

JimR

OMRSCCA RallyCross at Mo-Kan Dragway :: 8/1

Post by JimR » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Photo: Interiot, CC 3.0

OMRSCCA RallyCross
Sunday, August 1, 2010
Mo-Kan Dragway
Asbury, MO [Map]

Ozark Mountain Region SCCA and Mo-Kan Dragway present a unique opportunity to participate in SCCA RallyCross, an exciting unpaved competition against the clock.

Register Online!
[Click for online registration powered by MotorsportReg]
Note: 2010 events use online registration via MotorsportReg. Additional registration instructions here.

1. About
What is RallyCross?
RallyCross is like our "Solo" autocross program, but on an open field. Drivers attempt to set their best time on an agility course marked by cones, and cars are grouped in classes based on capability and level of modification. Courses are a little more open and speeds are a little lower that autocrosses, but the emphasis on accessibility, safety, affordability, and fun is the same as SCCA Solo.

RallyCross differs from stage rally that many have seen on television. There are no jumps or ditches, and roll cages are not required. Drivers preview the course by walking it or going on a low-speed lead-and-follow lap, rather than following the pace notes of a navigator. Competitors will have the opportunity to make a number of runs.

RallyCross doesn't take the best single run like in Solo, but is a combination of multiple runs.

What kind of car do I need?
No special rally car is needed. Any fixed-roof vehicle passing a basic safety inspection is fine, so your daily-driven sedan on street tires is perfect for Rallycross. Review the RallyCross technical inspection requirements here. For safety reasons, rollover-prone vehicles such as SUVs, 4x4's, and many full-sized trucks will not be allowed to compete. If you have any questions about the eligibility of your vehicle, please ask the event chairman here.

From the SCCA RallyCross rules:
A RallyCross event is open to any fixed-roof production based vehicle (including convertibles with a factory hardtop attached, targa types with factory panel in place, t-tops with factory panels in place) that can pass safety inspection. If the Event Chairman after consultation with the Event Safety Steward determines at his discretion that a vehicle cannot safely negotiate the course, it may be excluded.

2. Requirements
Entry fee
  • $25 - SCCA members pre-registered
  • $30 - SCCA members not pre-registered
  • $40 - all non-SCCA members (price includes SCCA weekend membership, discount voucher for SCCA annual membership)
Entry requirements
1. Valid Driver's license. Anyone under age 18 on the site, participant or otherwise, must have their parents/guardians sign a SCCA minor waiver on site, or in the presence of an OMR Solo/Rally committee member, board member, or notary public. Note: a learner's permit requiring a licensed passenger is not allowed per SCCA RallyCross rules.

2. Safe vehicle per technical inspection guidelines.

3. Must wear an approved helmet during competition. We have a limited number of loaner helmets available. If you bring your own, it must meet one of the following standards (DOT rating alone is not sufficient):
  • Snell 1995 (SA95, M95, or K98) or newer
  • British Standards 6658-85 type A/FR, including all amendments
  • SFI Foundation Spec 31.1
Work/Run
There will be two heats. Like Solo, RallyCross is a self-worked, volunteer-run sport in which competitors have a work heat opposite their run heat. Prepare to be outdoors all day, and dress and prepare accordingly.

3. Location
Mo-Kan Dragway
Mo-Kan Dragway is a quarter-mile drag strip in Asbury, Missouri, located near the Kansas-Missouri border on MO-171 Northwest of Joplin. They have graciously allowed use of the land adjacent to their drag strip, so make sure to visit the Smokin' Mo-Kan website and check out an upcoming event. There's a good chance you'll see a few OMRSCCA members there!

Directions
- Track Directions from Mo-Kan Dragway
- Mo-Kan Dragway on Google Maps.

Plug your address into Google Maps for specific directions. If coming from the South, the track is two miles North of Asbury, MO. If entering from the North, you will pass the track on your right after the highway curves into Missouri at the Kansas state line. The track entrance is on Baseline Blvd., just opposite highway junction MO-M (look for the signs).

Amenities
There is a convenience store a few miles south of Mo-Kan.

Mo-Kan facilities have paved areas if you need to jack up your vehicle. There is ample space for truck and trailer parking.

4. Cars & Information
Classing
RallyCross has a simple classing structure. See pages 24 through 29 of the 2010 RallyCross Rules (right-click, Save As...) for details.
  • Rally Stock - FWD (SF), RWD (SR), and AWD (SA) - upgrades are limited to items such as cat-back exhaust, brake pads, clutch and pressure plate, and wheels and DOT-legal tires that are near stock dimensions.
  • Rally Prepared - FWD (PF), RWD (PR), and AWD (PA) - adds specific allowances for upgraded intake, exhaust, suspension, differential, wheels, etc.
  • Rally Modified - 2WD (M2) and AWD (M4) - almost any production car or logbooked racecar is allowed, with drivetrain and suspension being unrestricted.
Recommended
  • Sunscreen, hats, non-alcoholic drinks - Summer weather can cause sunburns and dehydration quickly. Be ready.
  • Sturdy closed-toed shoes - you will be on a mowed field for walking and working course
  • Tires inflated to max PSI - it is uncommon for tires to break from the bead of the rim, but inflate street tires as a precaution.
  • Spare tire - tire damage is not anticipated, but we will be running on dirt. Make sure to bring a spare.
  • Window cleaner - be prepared for a dusty environment
  • Numbers and class letters - magnetic or vinyl letters are preferred, but tape in a contrasting color is acceptable. Cars must be clearly marked on each side so that corner workers may read them from their stations.
Links Register today! Don't let this unique opportunity leave you in the dust!
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:00 am

Spreadin' the word on FB.
Shame that "someone" doesn't have a Cavi anymore. :wink:
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

AutoXChris

Post by AutoXChris » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Shudup Ed.... :?
speed is relative... ...but the feeling is absolute

grazamataz

Post by grazamataz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:38 am

oh man this sounds amazing!!!! i just have a few questions...

are lower clearance cars going to be okay on this? i mean my suspension is all stock but it's still fairly low.

how about paint chips? i have mudflaps but are there any other possibilities?

also do people's wheels ever get damaged? i only have my one set of DDs unfortunately.

i realllllly want to do this but i don't want to mess up my car, haha. as long as it's safe though i'm so in.

thanks!

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:43 am

I have RallyCrossed a Neon and a Sentra on stock suspension without issue. The NEOkla region Rally chairman at the time was using a stock '00+ Celica GT without problems.

The site is a flat pasture about a stone's throw from the Kansas border. If you have enough arm and could find a stone, you could probably throw one into Kansas from the edge of the Mo-Kan property. It's basically cows and corn in the area. I drove my lowered Miata into the field on Friday at reduced pace, and it didn't strike me as something that would be challenging for most cars on stock suspension.

You will be driving in a field at speed, so your mileage may vary. Bent wheels and damage are not common, but you will be kicking up dirt/grit/pebbles, and likely sliding a little bit.

If it's a concern, RallyArmor flaps are a durable brand of mudflaps that are popular with the Dirty-Impreza crowd.

FlatBlack

Post by FlatBlack » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:58 am

JimR wrote:If it's a concern, RallyArmor flaps are a durable brand of mudflaps that are popular with the Dirty-Impreza crowd.
*Nods*

Mat #67
96 Nissan 240SX [SM]
05 Forester XT [SM]
02 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 5.3L [Tow Rig]

grazamataz

Post by grazamataz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:37 pm

great! i will most likely be there then. and i already have the Rally Armor mudflaps on my car, so that's taken care of :) they do an amazing job of keeping junk off the doors/rear fenders.

thanks! see everyone Sunday in Neosho!

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:03 pm

Does anybody have an open seat and want to work out a co-drive?

The Camaro really isn't prepped for this sort of thing. :D
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Nick Swanson... you have a PM.

Also, does anybody have Nick's contact info? If so, could you PM?

Thanks.

**EDIT** Disregard previous transmission. I found it.
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:17 pm

New question....

Does the requirement of using the same car number at all OMR events apply to this event as well?

In other words..... will I need to run a "96" on the car?

It's not a problem, just want to be clear.
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP

FlatBlack

Post by FlatBlack » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:55 am

Let's do this!! 8)
Mat #67
96 Nissan 240SX [SM]
05 Forester XT [SM]

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:42 am

Ironhead wrote:Does the requirement of using the same car number at all OMR events apply to this event as well?

In other words..... will I need to run a "96" on the car?
Korry, you are welcome to run the same number if you would like but the Solo reserved numbers are not in use for this event. So feel free to use any # you would like.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

JimR

Post by JimR » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:32 am

Jon Simmons from Nebraska Region shared the novice guide they use for their events:

http://www.tarsust.com/docs/rxNoviceGuide_v1.1.pdf

Most of it will be familiar to a Soloist, as the sports are fairly similar aside from the surface.

If we can attract SCCA non-members, that is great. If you know someone who hasn't autocrossed, but might get on the hook for RallyCross, pass along this link and let them know it's easy to get involved. Most daily-driven passenger cars are perfect for this.

FlatBlack

Post by FlatBlack » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:50 am

6 Days away...

Attendance on Sunday will determine if this will happen again. Please try and come if at all possible. Bring friends as well. 8)
Mat #67
96 Nissan 240SX [SM]
05 Forester XT [SM]

JimR

Post by JimR » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:21 pm

Right. The more participation we get, the more we'll be driven to try and offer RallyCross in the future.

If anyone can volunteer for the following in addition to a normal work assignment, that will help us a whole lot:

1. Waiver station 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM
2. Waiver station 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM
3. Waiver station 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM
4. Tech inspector - we'll probably tech in place in the paddock

I will be in the trailer running registration. We will not have a huge turnout, but if someone wants to help in the trailer, that will also be appreciated.

Thanks!