OMR at 2014 Solo Nationals

Upcoming event announcements, results, and discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

JimR

OMR at 2014 Solo Nationals

Post by JimR » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:14 am

The 2014 Solo National Championships run September 2-5, and several locals will be among the 1,100 entrants competing for trophies in Lincoln, Nebraska. Live timing is typically hosted here once the event gets under way:

http://sololive.scca.com/
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/SCCASolo

Your drivers:

Korry Berger
E Street Prepared
Run heat 1 Tuesday/Wednesday

Korry will be laying down the opening rubber at Solo Nationals in a 37-driver ESP class filled with pony cars and Subaru WRXes. Sometimes running first is a blessing at Lincoln, where tire "marbles" build up at the edges of the course from thousands of runs and stick to your hot race tires. Sometimes it's a curse, as the morning weather in Nebraska can vary from snow to tornadoes to heat advisories during the same run.

Edit:
Martin Henry
A Street Prepared
Run heat 1 Thursday/Friday

Martin is officially part of the OMR clan this year, and will be driving a Nissan 370Z in ASP against stiff competition in Lancer EVOs on R-compound tires. The transition-heavy courses will favor the more nimble Z, but the AWD cars will have the traction advantage if the mornings are cool.

Sam Henry & Lester Henry
D Prepared
Run heat 2 Thursday/Friday

Sam and Lester Henry will be co-driving the familiar D-Prepared Miata is a very racy class. A significant amount of race rubber should be grained into the "line" by Thursday, so much that bits of tire gunk and concrete seam sealer will ruin a nice pair of shoes during a course walk. This car will be even faster on the Lincoln concrete than Neosho asphalt, but Sam claims that it's "slow" and may be vulnerable to unthinkable, Bobby-Jasan-grade cash offers during impound unless he clears the field by five to ten seconds.

Jim Rowland
E Street
Run heat 2 Thursday/Friday

The second-generation Miata was given new life in the Street category restructuring by moving from CS to ES, so I will give Solo Nationals a shot after a three-year hiautus. My silver '01 model didn't look like the ticket, so I bailed to Sean Grubb's better-prepared red '99 Sport model to prop up my driving. Let's hope co-driving on Dunlops Z2's in late Summer doesn't cause the tires to melt down, or I might have to bring my own car next time.

Bobby Jasan
C Street Prepared
Run heat 3 Thursday/Friday

Bobby was excused from his new position at Fatherhood, Inc., long enough to take an open seat in Jason Baney's CSP Miata out of Tulsa. While it's only a Street Prepared car, these Miatas are very light and have unlimited tire width, plus aero allowances. They are not much slower than some Prepared and Street Modified cars, which could be a tough adjustment for someone who doesn't own any Miatas.

Last edited by JimR on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Ironhead

Re: OMR at 2014 Solo Nationals

Post by Ironhead » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:21 pm

JimR wrote:Korry Berger
:shock:

Must have dusted off the way back machine for that picture.

2008 KC Div?

FWIW... I've been ready since Tuesday.

Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP
Simple and crude, but effective. The car too.

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:12 pm

I'm expecting a good result from Korry. I typically compare my pax to to top dogs in esp at nat tours etc, and I think Korry can really be in the mix for a trophy/podium if the concrete and bright lights don't mess up his game. Also got to get it done in three laps.

Bobby should be solid in csp or he'll hit the timing trailer going backwards. Bobby has crazy car control. Probably due to all the positions he gets into

A last minute tires drama puts me and dad on very untested compounds. Let's just say we are hoping for temps around 40. I've been about 6 times to the show. About 1/2 of those we're in a solid car. I've only been able to bring one trophy home out of all attempts. If our tires will hold up, I'd consider it a real honor to do that again. Dad is looking to move up a couple more spots as he gets more comfortable with the bright lights and higher grip levels from a good surface. We have a fresh set-up on the car and it's loaded and ready to go!

I don't know much about Sean's car, so I'll be watching Jim with great interest. Street tire classes are soooooo close. A few tenths is a bunch of positions.
:wink: :wink: :lol:

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:37 pm

Oh. We forgot one. Martin is going in his 370 nismo in ASP. He joined omr dual membership earlier this year.

Nice write up Jim! Love those pictures.

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Talk about nationals luck. For the three people interested.

Mounted four new tires. Did the corner weights a couple days later. Surprised how much I had to adjust,b but figured new springs settled. Today I noticed front tire low and leaking fast. Fixed tire issue and wondered about corner weights. Yep. Had to undo pretty much every chage to get back right.

Oh well. Better today.....

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:10 am
Sam, Are you driving the BttF DeLorean?
GL and hope the rain stops for you.

[[[EDIT]]]
I forgot to change the time zone in my profile. My Bad. :oops:
Last edited by Unstable on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Unstable wrote:
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:10 am
Sam, Are you driving the BttF DeLorean?
GL and hope the rain stops for you.
That is strange because it shows 6:10 pm on the 1st for me.

That sucks Sam, but better to catch it at the shop instead of noticing a flat when you unload. How is the forecast looking, any 40° F days coming up in Lincoln?
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:25 am

I think I'm going to miss the cool weather by a day. It looks like a cool front comes through on Friday. Thursday is going to be pretty warm. Rain on Friday May mix things up

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 pm

I got a field report from Korry, and he is a big fan of the West course design. He was run #1 of the entire event, and said conditions got faster run-to-run. Being the first run group of the event seemed to favor the exit speed of the WRXes, who sit at the top right now in ESP. It's going to be warm tomorrow, but possibly wet to begin. Rain or not, I think he can get into the trophies with a full day of rubber sitting on the East course.

Cooler weather is exactly what I want for Thursday/Friday runs. Weather dot com claims lows in the upper 50s/lower 60s, which will be Dunlop Z2 weather in E-Street. Who knows, it will probably be 110 degrees or snowing with a forecast like that in Nebraska.

Parking is reportedly tight in the MO-AR-OK paddock area. Leave me a spot, and I'll be fashionably late tomorrow morning.

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:10 am

Was just a few tenths out of a trophy on the West but got killed by my lack of power on the East.

First time at Nats. First car out for the week. No pressure. Nobody's watching. :P

http://youtu.be/63JVYIoN7Fk
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:19 pm

My quick iPad update. More later. Both tracks were a blast to drive. I liked them both. One more technical and the other a little more open but with hidden speed. Speeds were medium to high. I bumped my rev limiter a couple times on the tech track and clobbered it about 4 times on the east. In fact, I got the laptop out and bumped it from borderline to stupid, but she held.

I was disappointed I didn't trophy by a couple spots. But I did feel better the next day looking at the results closer. I was 1.5 seconds from the win over both days or about .75 per day on 60 second tracks. Easily the closest to front I've ever been. Too bad so many others squeezed into that window. Next year.

Dad had a good time and shaved off some time compared to years past. Fast enough that we were using water on tires between runs.

Jim was tearing it up on day one and just slipped out of trophies on day two.

Bobby was holding his own in CSP. I think csp was the toughest class there this year. I suspect the pax results will show that.

Martin was solid in asp. He handles pretty good, but the rally cars are so fast when power is needed.

Overall we all had a good time. I'm alreadying making a wish list for the dp car for next year! Or maybe some tubing to start on a FP car?

A nice time.

JimR

Post by JimR » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:42 am

This was my first Solo Nationals since 2010, and probably my first autocross on concrete since then. Acclimation to higher average speeds and grip is difficult if you aren't getting out to the Lincoln MiDivs and Blytheville Tours.

It started raining between Sean's last run and my last run on Friday. I finally strung together a technically decent run at the end, but it was starting to get a little wet. I got bumped down one position and out of the trophies. Ninth out of 29 at Nationals felt all right. Sean's Miata was set up much better than mine, and I think I could really put it to work with more concrete seat time and upper-level autocross time in general.

Still, you can have a good time and still be DFL in your class.

Mazda paid for a decent catered dinner for every Mazda driver and a guest, and gave every single one of them a t-shirt and hat. I think Hankook also provided lunch one day for their drivers. There was a SCCA taco welcome party on Monday evening, two free awards banquets, and several large clubs making elaborate meals out in paddock. No one goes hungry (or thirsty) at Nationals.

I lament not being able to spend more time in paddock after runs than I how I drove.

Ironhead

Post by Ironhead » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:50 pm

The Nats experience summed up in one photo...

Very nearly pulling my foot out of a shoe stuck to CP rubber was also amusing. OPR on your tires? Pffft. Local level stuff. Try OPR on your shoes.
Korry
1996 Camaro Z28 - 96 ESP

JimR

Post by JimR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:50 pm

I was walking the West course on Wednesday evening - sunny, maybe 80-something degrees - and a guy walking in front of me laid down on the ground. I thought he was horsing around with his buddy, and joked to Sam Strano nearby, "they'll have a hard time peeling him off the ground."

Turns out the guy was not feeling well and laid down from heat exhaustion. If you thought Neosho at 95 degrees/jet-black post-reseal in August was a bastard, think about someone from Canada or Pac NW. Kind of felt like a jerk.

My shoes still have rubber on the bottom of them from walking the course on Wednesday. It would take your shoes off if not tied. 500 race tires on concrete leaves a lot of sticky crap on the ground.

springfielddyno

Post by springfielddyno » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:06 pm

I think the sticky shoe thing is much less now with all the street tires.... It's been worse in the past.

I think those were the best pair of nat courses I can remember.