First year running! All help welcome!

SCCA technical discussions and classing discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

gen2teggy

First year running! All help welcome!

Post by gen2teggy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Just joined the SCCA, hoping to do solo. I have a 93 Integra has a few mods, camber kit, Springs with adjustable sleeves, tubular a-arm with camber adjustment, Full exhausts system and cold air intake. Thinking about running in the STC. Any ideas. I have never even been to a event and kinda diving head first in to this.

JimR

Post by JimR » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Welcome to the fold.

From what you've listed, it sounds like you know your class. Honda products of that vintage tend to be very capable autocross machines.

Really, class and setup doesn't matter in the beginning, though. Getting to know the sport, building skill with seat time, and having fun are the important things.

The region is looking to hold a Solo school on Saturday, May 3, the day before one of regular Solo events. That would be a good chance get repeated, guided practice if you can make it.

Regular autocrosses are also good opportunities. You can take ride-alongs with other competitors and maybe take some experienced people along with you. If someone looks like they know what they're doing, don't hesitate to chat them up. Most of us are doing this for fun at the regional level and don't mind sharing what we know.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

gen2teggy

Post by gen2teggy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:53 pm

I am planing on hitting most of the runs. Really pumped for March 30th! I was really comfortable in my car then upgraded struts and its like a totally different car now. I hope I get back in my comfort zone before the 30th. I think my biggest fear is getting lost on the course lol.

flogger

Post by flogger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:18 am

Definitely come out for the March event rather than waiting until May for the novice school (although I recommend attending that, too). There's tons of info on the web about what to expect at your first Solo event. I'll put emphasis on bringing a good attitude and desire to learn, a tire pressure gauge and a way to add air, if possible, and sunscreen. You'll be standing out in the sun much more than you think. If an air tank or compressor is not doable, just add ~10 lbs more air than you normally run on the street.

You're right about getting lost on course being an issue. It happens more often than you might think, especially to beginners. Walk the course as many times as you can before the event. Visualize driving it to really drill it into your brain. I sometimes even draw maps and take notes and refer to my notes between runs in grid to clue myself in to where I can improve. Volunteering with setup and stuff before events lately means I've only gotten 1 or 2 course walks in recent events. I wouldn't recommend that, but experience helps me in that regard. Also, course designers for this region do a good job at making courses that are easy to interpret. In fact, probably the single most difficult to read course element last year came on a course designed by me. Oops. Sorry, guys.

Before events we generally have "Novice walks" which are a course walkthrough for beginners and novices. There will be an announcement for it and they'll meet by the starting line. There will be lots of info dispensed there, not just a guide to where the course goes.

Since we're in the same class we'll be in the same heat, so it's unlikely/awkward for me to ride along with you (or vice versa) and provide instruction, but there are lots of other capable instructors in the region. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

Plan on having a lot of fun and we'll see you at the first event.
Scott Woosley