The answer is always Miata.
I'm selling my sunlight silver 2001 LS package with six-speed manual transmission and ~99k miles. Clean, right options, well-kept, synthetics only, and grownup owned. All the usual "headache" maintenance is freshly done, so it's ready for blue skies and trouble-free enjoyment.
- Nearly $500 in new parts, and $1,300 in extras.
- Always garaged, kept on battery tender, and driven little. This is a 100% Texas/Arkansas rust-free car. I am the third owner, and have averaged under 3,000 miles per year since purchase from an enthusiast friend (second owner) in 2008. The original owner bought it from Freeman Mazda in Dallas.
- Fun, light, easy on consumables, and nearly 30 MPG highway. I use ethanol-free 91 octane exclusively.
- Desirable combination of stronger six-speed, factory big brakes, and Torsen helical limited slip optional on 2001-2002 model years only. Enjoy it stock, or dip into the huge aftermarket. In Miata-speak, this is a "NB2" generation model with the sleeker '01+ cosmetic update, the best-looking Miata in my opinion.
- Other options include leather, Nardi airbag steering wheel, power locks, remote trunk pop with fob, factory Bose stereo, single-CD in dash. Everything works, and fob and both keys present.
- No ABS, no traction control, no TPMS, no nonsense. It's a modern, honest driver's car. All Miata.
The car is stock aside from the following upgrades:
- Koni Sport shocks (aka Koni "yellows") - adjustable dampers
- Racing Beat 1.125" front sway bar with Racing Beat reinforcement blocks and 949Racing end links
- Hard Dog Sport roll bar with twin diagonals
- 15x6.5" Konig Helium wheels (~ 12lbs/each) with Dunlop Z2 Summer tires
- K&N panel air filter
- Axxis Deluxe front pads, OEM Mazda rear pads - balanced setup for autocross and street
- Curt hidden trailer hitch and TireTail - transports tires without need for trailer (similar example picture)
- Black resin shift knob
- Track Dog front splitter (easy to remove if you want to be 100% legal for ES Solo)
Brand-new parts just installed:
- Timing belt, tensioner, and idler pulley - Dayco brand
- Water pump - Gates brand with cast impeller, not the common cheap stamped impeller. Opted for new OEM Mazda WP gaskets instead of included fiber gaskets.
- Fuel filter - Wix brand, installed with new quick-connect clips
- Spark plugs - OEM NGK
- Both accessory belts - OEM Mazda/Gates
- New gaskets: valve cover, throttle body, IACV, intake upper plenum, thermostat housing, WP, and more
- Differential oil - Mobil1 synthetic 75W-90
- Transmission fluid - Redline MT-90 synthetic
- Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 synthetic motor oil and Wix XP synthetic-media oil filter
- Gates thermostat, new thermostat gasket, Prestone coolant, and Redline Water Wetter
- Brakes and clutch master cylinders bled with Valvoline SynPower synthetic DOT 3/4 fluid
- Cleaned: throttle body, upper plenum/EGR, IACV, MAF (MAF-specific spray only)
- Oil pressure sender
- PCV valve, PCV grommet
- Trico NeoForm wiper blades
- OEM Mazda clutch pedal and brake pedal rubber pads
Click thumbnails to enlarge and read descriptions:
Recent maintenance with very low miles:
- New battery June 2015 ($117)
- OEM Mazda cam angle sensor ($67)
- Windshield wiper motor ($83)
- Front alignment bolts
- Spring rubber pads/bushings
- Engine mounts
- Brake pads and Centric rotors (cross-hatch still visible)
Replaced since 2008:
- OEM front wheel bearings
- OEM Clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, and two sections of OEM clutch line
- Stock 16x6.5" wheels with BFGoodrich g-Force T/A street tires.
- Cobalt Friction XR3 front pads with matching Centric rotors (a $200 getup new) - used at one Bobby Hallett track day in 2014, excellent condition.
- OEM Mazda clutch and pressure plate - not needed, but ready for the years ahead.
- OEM Mazda rear wheel bearings, Dorman rear hubs - not needed, but ready for the years ahead.
- Curt hidden hitch and TireTail tire carrier. Unused Curt shank included.
- Miscellaneous seals and spare OEM bits.
- If desired, I'll throw in a set of Solo-legal blue magnetic numbers with white outline (3,6,E,S,P), and a Mazdaspeed contingency sticker set in blue.
The car is in great condition, with a good top and shiny paint. Pretty darn nice for a 14-year-old car.
Issues? It does have some small paint blemishes on the nose, and a fine scratch or chip here or there. I use claybar, DA-applied polish, and Meguiar's NXT 2.0 synthetic wax periodically. The interior is an easy 8 out of 10. The leather is great shape with only a few small marks on the seats and steering wheel. The airbag dummy light flashes sometimes, as well.
This car has been my sunny weekend and E-Street class autocross car only. It has only seen two lapdays and drove faultlessly. Much invested, and it runs like a top. I'm looking to upgrade my driveway, and you are, too. We should talk!
$6,000 buys the whole package. Located in Rogers, Arkansas.