Trying to get my girlfriend into autocross. what class?

New Racers - The place to be for the n00b in all of us!

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

classyvdub89

Trying to get my girlfriend into autocross. what class?

Post by classyvdub89 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:21 am

Hey guys, My name is Daniel, my girlfriend expressed some interest in autocross so I think I found the right place. Nether one of us have ever done this type of driving before. She drives a bone stock 04 cavalier coupe. Which class would she be in so I can finish the registry? Also what else besides a safe car and a snell helmet do we need to compete?

flogger

Post by flogger » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:25 pm

I read the rules as saying a bone stock '04 Cavalier is classed as a G Stock car. I get this because wikipedia tells me it would have an Ecotec engine and GS has a line under General Motors that reads "FWD models (4-cyl Turbo, 6-cyl, Ecotec, or Quad 4 engines, NOC)". NOC means "not otherwise classed".
What else to bring? Sunscreen and a hat. Given the forecast, a way to keep dry besides an umbrella. We run in the rain and some work assignments preclude the use of umbrellas. A light lunch to eat between heats. Plenty of drinking water. A good way to mark your car with class and numbers in a color that contrasts with your car's paint. Optionally, a tire pressure gauge and a way to add air, if you've got it, is your single best tuning device after adjusting driving technique. Also, make sure to bring a willingness to learn and to have a good time.
Oh, and wrt helmets, we've got loaners, but if it passes tech you can of course use your own helmet. Bonus points to you for both the convenience and hygiene factor. :-)
Hope to see you Sunday.
Scott Woosley