New Racers - The place to be for the n00b in all of us!

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

avdoc

Post by avdoc » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:51 pm

I posted on another topic, however I plan on getting involved too. I would like to eventually be competitive in a class, but know that will take some seat time, so I just plan on learning the basics. I have spent A LOT of time in MR2's, as I owned an 85' and a 93T. This one I will be picking up is a 92T. It has some mods done already, and I will have a new LSD to install when the tranny goes out in this one. It has a Walbro fuel pump, brake upgrade, suspension upgrades, full cage, stock turbo and BOV for now, but will play with that later. Plans also include a AEM management system. I assume I can be in the stock mod 2 class also. I have not even personally seen the car, but purchased it, and should be getting it here in a couple of weeks. I look forward to meeting all of you. I just hope I don't crash into and GT3's like on the other post. LOL

Crazy_Dog
Location: Hangin out at the Stick, lookin at a thing in a bag

Post by Crazy_Dog » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:43 pm

welcome to the show. I say welcome. thats it! I know nothing else about this sport we call autocrossing :) its fun though!!!! (ok so I guess I do know that its fun... but thats it I swear!)

oh speaking of that I might have breaks by the weekend! maybe... if they come in! and I dont have to work saturday again :s or sunday again.... hehe

oh yeah back on track! welcome to AA friend!
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

- Jonathan Fessenden, - OMR Board Member

avdoc

Post by avdoc » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:29 am

Thank you. What time Sunday do you guys usually gather there? I know very little about how things go down, other than everybody works corners, or something. I will try to come out at least for a while Sunday. Who knows, I may know some of you.

Crazy_Dog
Location: Hangin out at the Stick, lookin at a thing in a bag

Post by Crazy_Dog » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:16 am

If all your going to do is watch :( then you can show up between 11:00 and 1:00 for the first heat. and 1:30 - 3:00 for the second heat. come down to the trailer and say hello I'll point you in the direction of some drivers who just might give you a ride and show you how to run over cones :twisted:

we start setting up around 7. registration begins at 9:00AM and ends at 10:30AM. there is a drivers meeting at 10:45 to tell everyone whats going on. we go over rules and safety. then 11:00 the first runs begin!

if the event goes smoothly at the end once in a while we do "fun runs" just a cheep way to get a lap in. lets you drive the course at speed without worrying about time or workers out there watching you hit cones ;) if you don't drive (I suggest you come out and drive!!!) at least try a fun run, the family car works nicely for fun runs muwahaha
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

- Jonathan Fessenden, - OMR Board Member

avdoc

Post by avdoc » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:20 pm

I would love to drive, but I don't have a car now. I have 2 Z-71 Silverado's, and a Z-71 Tahoe. Albeit one of my trucks runs very well for a 5.3, I would not want to corner it. I sold all of my sports cars, and just sold my 66 chevy II, so I am out of luck there. It will still be about 2 weeks until our MR2's are ready to pick up in Texas, so I will have to watch, but I will come by and say hey. Thanks so much.

avdoc

Post by avdoc » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:00 pm

My brother-in-law is building a mr2 also. His is highly modified, and we are not sure how it'll handle on a tight course, but I think I have him talked into giving it a try also. I guess he can detune it some, and just not get to throttle happy. It will have all the best for suspension on it, so if he is careful, it might do well. I have talked to a few guys who know a little about this, but never checked it out. They are interested also. It seems like several of these guys think you have to have a "special" car to run. Three of us are from Ozark, and a few from Springfield. I may be missing something, but unless you guys object I will try to bring several newbies in with me. I have a older guy who moved into my neighborhood, who walked over to look at my Chevy II, and found out he has a sweet red Lotus Esprit ES Turbo. I think he would love this also. How many of you travel to different events? Do you meet up, and caravan?

Corolla DRiveR

Post by Corolla DRiveR » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:34 pm

Bring the newbies! Everyone in this region is really laid back and happy to answer a lot of questions, since we were all newbies at one time.

Several of us go to events around the area and its usually a group deal. Ive never done that myself, but the guys that do always have a great time.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

avdoc

Post by avdoc » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:26 am

Sounds like a good time. I appreciate the info. We traveled across the U.S. for truck shows, so I bet I can travel a little for this.

vdub kirk

Post by vdub kirk » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:30 pm

hello noob. i just did my first event in august. it was sick. lots and lots of fun for cheap. i just ran my car as is. i didnt hurt a thing and used like an eighth of a tank of gas on the day. just come early with a 20 dollar bill if its your first time and dont sweat the rest. if you say you want seat time you'll be sorry if you come and dont get some. jump right in, always. everybody hella nice and its cheap thrills legally.

ps everybody let me ride in their car. i wont talk or nothing
duffstudswoop in a jetta 1.8t
some say the outline of his left areola is the exact same as the Nurburgring Nordschleife. . . all we know is . . . he's called, "The Stig!"

avdoc

Post by avdoc » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Ya, I think it would be a lot of fun for the money. I think once the car is to my liking, tires will be the most expensive part. My drag car was tires, fuel, nos, parts, etc. all the time I really look forward to doing this. I think it will be more challenging too. I only have to worry about the cones, not ditches, mailboxes, and wildlife.

squarestump

Post by squarestump » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:08 pm

Welcome, nice to see another mr2 up and racing.. you are talking about running in SM2 (street modified 2)

i was about THIS close to finishing my 86 turbo conversion (AE101 4agze +> RHB5-VJ5 turbo) so i could run it tomorrow.. maybe next time though

i might not be there tomorrow, and if i am, i probably wont race, sherri pulled a muscle so the spyder turbo wont be there.
Drifting a corner near you...