Church

New Racers - The place to be for the n00b in all of us!

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

tristan21

Church

Post by tristan21 » Sat May 17, 2008 5:20 am

You guys ever doin any racin on days that arent sunday or are maybe late on sundays. I think id have a hard time makin it that early on a sunday. Tha wife is in charge of all the sunday school planning so that kinda puts me out.
04.5 Cummins SWB 4x4 6sp 634hp/1324tq
2000 3.8 vert stang auto stock

zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom » Sat May 17, 2008 6:51 am

We tried a few Saturday events last year, but the turnout was low compared to Sunday's. Didn't make financial sense...

JimR

Post by JimR » Sat May 17, 2008 8:26 am

A number of people have asked for Saturday events, but when it came down to it, not a lot of people actually showed up to them. For OMR, this meant we were running many Saturdays at a loss. Our autocross program's overhead is things like a fixed site rental fee, per-entrant sanction/insurance fees, trophies, and consumables like fuel, water, and course outline material. Below a certain turnout, we can't break even.

My best guess is that for a sport that primarily attracts young and middle-aged males, work prevents a lot of people from showing up on Saturday. This is common for any region of the SCCA, and I've seen lower Saturday turnouts elsewhere. Everyone's first thought is that church would drive a lot of Sunday entrants away, but in reality, turnouts seem to be 30% bigger on a Sunday.

Unfortunately for avid churchgoers, we have to schedule on Sunday, or not be able to run autocrosses at all.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

Corolla DRiveR

Post by Corolla DRiveR » Sat May 17, 2008 9:34 pm

heres a great idea, go to the evening service. I do that sometimes since I cant make it in the morning on event day.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

CivicSiguy

Post by CivicSiguy » Sun May 18, 2008 3:30 pm

Corolla DRiveR wrote:heres a great idea, go to the evening service. I do that sometimes since I cant make it in the morning on event day.
But then I can't watch Judge Judy, which is almost as important. :lol:
Don Peak
STX 225
08' Civic Si

VTEC = u got owned

magilson

Post by magilson » Mon May 19, 2008 6:00 pm

I think Saturday events could be attempted if we ever get the pre-registration system (and more importantly pre-pay) working.

We can schedule the event, require a minimum number of people who will prepay. Then close pre-registration a week before the event so if too few sign up we can just cancel it. Until then it's too financially risky for us to try again.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

killerbracing

Post by killerbracing » Mon May 19, 2008 9:00 pm

Everyone has different schedules. If Sunday furthers the clubs operation keep it as is. Between my job and the kids, I don't get out to race too much any more. When I do, I like doing club events or open track days. With gas as high as it is, I'll just wait it out. No need to travel 3 hours with a truck and trailer.
You guys wanna hound somebody, hit up the Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland. I asked Kevin when they would add a road course. He replied "If it happpens, it will be 3-5 years, we have to build a campground on site right now" :oops:
Who wants to lay ass to ground in Hickory County? :lol:

tristan21

Post by tristan21 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:53 pm

magilson wrote:I think Saturday events could be attempted if we ever get the pre-registration system (and more importantly pre-pay) working.

We can schedule the event, require a minimum number of people who will prepay. Then close pre-registration a week before the event so if too few sign up we can just cancel it. Until then it's too financially risky for us to try again.
Ill keep movin forward and checkin back. If you guys ever get it setup i'll be there. I go to a small church with no evening service. Were pretty involved with them and I cant miss. So maybe in the future.
04.5 Cummins SWB 4x4 6sp 634hp/1324tq
2000 3.8 vert stang auto stock

drivehard

Post by drivehard » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:51 pm

I am just happy that the June auto X isn't on the 8th!!!!! Now I can watch the Canadian GP!!!!! LIVE!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Really though...... :)
CRUX[kruks] 1. of perplexing difficulty. 2. the essential or most important point.

DRIVE HARD, DRIVE FAST, DON'T MISS YOUR POINT!!!!

magilson

Post by magilson » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:28 pm

drivehard wrote:I am just happy that the June auto X isn't on the 8th!!!!! Now I can watch the Canadian GP!!!!! LIVE!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Really though...... :)
exactly, except we'll have to deal with the idiotic announcers from Fox...
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

AutoXChris

Post by AutoXChris » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:19 pm

its on fox this time? :lol:

with all my eggs in a hanky, i'll be in KC
speed is relative... ...but the feeling is absolute