Quick class question

New Racers - The place to be for the n00b in all of us!

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

g3joshua

Quick class question

Post by g3joshua » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:02 am

Ok, I've kind of decided to get into SCCA, just for the heck of it and sounds like fun. But, the only group I have ever talked to had a hard time placing my car.

1990 Nissan 240sx
Stock Japanese Turbo motor (old motor gone), except for turbo manifold, cooling stuff (aluminum radiator, front mount intercooler). I have struts and lowering springs and that is really it for the car. Everything is pretty well stock, stock wheels/tires, no sway bars or anything like that.

That would put me into the Street Modified class, right? Because of the motor swap...or am I mistaken?

Just trying to clear things up before the 22nd. Trying to get it put together before then :)
Nah, Just a Nerd!

JimR

Post by JimR » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:05 am

Based on the description, it sounds like a SM car. You're right on.

We'll see you then.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:58 am

I have looked into this before, in case I ever needed a motor and used a JDM motor in my car, and SM is what I came up with also.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

g3joshua

Post by g3joshua » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:27 am

Cool. Yep, got to finish the car up (moving everything from one chassis to another...a little more less damaged chassis). And, I'll see you all there.
Nah, Just a Nerd!

magilson

Post by magilson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:55 pm

g3joshua wrote:Cool. Yep, got to finish the car up (moving everything from one chassis to another...a little more less damaged chassis). And, I'll see you all there.
Don't forget to pre-register!
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

g3joshua

Post by g3joshua » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:40 am

Every spare minute I've got is going to the car, as soon as I know I'll have it done, I will pre-register. I don't like saying I'm going to be there and no have a car to run. I know I'll be there to at least meet with everyone, not sure on the race part though.
Nah, Just a Nerd!

magilson

Post by magilson » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:31 am

g3joshua wrote:Every spare minute I've got is going to the car, as soon as I know I'll have it done, I will pre-register. I don't like saying I'm going to be there and no have a car to run. I know I'll be there to at least meet with everyone, not sure on the race part though.
I'm glad you'll still be coming out! I'm sure there are quite a few people willing to give a ride along.
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

DSMnewbie88

another class question

Post by DSMnewbie88 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:40 am

Hey guys, new here too.
I did check out one of the events last year held at the price cutter park, didn't participate, just hung out for a while and watched.

I'm about to sign up for the March 22nd event (as long as my work schedule allows) and I am not quite sure what class to specify for my car..

It is a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
AWD Turbocharged 2.0L

All is stock except for the wheels and exhaust (I'm pretty sure the wheels are close to stock spec)
The exhaust is custom from the O2 sensor housing after teh turbo, all the way out the back. All straight 2.5"(? i'm pretty sure its 2.5", prev. owner installed it.) with a magnaflow muffler. (no cat)

Power steering pump is also removed.

now it seems to me that this would fall under the STS category, but I'm not really sure... any clarification would be helpful.

thanks
-Brian

**edit i should add there is also a manual boost controller, although it is set at the stock boost setting.

magilson

Re: another class question

Post by magilson » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:13 am

DSMnewbie88 wrote:Hey guys, new here too.
I did check out one of the events last year held at the price cutter park, didn't participate, just hung out for a while and watched.

I'm about to sign up for the March 22nd event (as long as my work schedule allows) and I am not quite sure what class to specify for my car..

It is a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
AWD Turbocharged 2.0L

All is stock except for the wheels and exhaust (I'm pretty sure the wheels are close to stock spec)
The exhaust is custom from the O2 sensor housing after teh turbo, all the way out the back. All straight 2.5"(? i'm pretty sure its 2.5", prev. owner installed it.) with a magnaflow muffler. (no cat)

Power steering pump is also removed.

now it seems to me that this would fall under the STS category, but I'm not really sure... any clarification would be helpful.

thanks
-Brian

**edit i should add there is also a manual boost controller, although it is set at the stock boost setting.
I think your manual boost controller will put you in the street prepared category despite the tires you choose to run. And given your engine size you'll be in DSP, with me...
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

DSMnewbie88

Post by DSMnewbie88 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:23 am

OK cool, thanks for that clarification, although I'm not sure what DSP stands for.

and I hope to be meeting some new people come March 22nd :D

-Brian

magilson

Post by magilson » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:26 am

DSMnewbie88 wrote:OK cool, thanks for that clarification, although I'm not sure what DSP stands for.
http://www.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rule ... _Rules.pdf
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:52 am

magilson is correct about the mods putting you into Street Prepared, but I just took a quick look and "Eclipse all turbo (‘89-’99)" would actually be in ESP (.PDF page 187-188).

EVERYONE, even if you are a long time competitor, needs to download and check over http://www.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rule ... _Rules.pdf as there have been several changes this year. The main changes that I know of are some class names (STS->ST, STS2->STS, and SM2->SSM), but I am hearing that some cars are being moved between classes and some modification rules have been updated. It is ultimately the responsibility of the competitor to classify their car, but an appeal can be filed if someone thinks that your car has been incorrectly classed.

Taking a little time and reading the rule book yourself will do nothing but save time in the registration line. This is a simple way to do your part to get the event started on time, instead of pouring over the rulebook while you are in the registration line holding everyone else up, meaning more runs for all.

Thanks to all that are getting these questions answered here as opposed to waiting till the event morning.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

magilson

Post by magilson » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:39 am

SilverYota wrote:magilson is correct about the mods putting you into Street Prepared, but I just took a quick look and "Eclipse all turbo (‘89-’99)" would actually be in ESP (.PDF page 187-188).
Yep. Didn't expect them to throw an AWD Eclipse into the ESP ring. Looks like that class could be interesting this year!
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

g3joshua

Post by g3joshua » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Ok, car is running. Test drove it up and down the dirt road up to about 60 today and everything is good, I think...you know how it goes. Inspection and tags are on tomorrows list...

Got a few other questions.

1) I don't have a "proper" helmet so how much are rentals? Sorry, looked but can't seem to find it on the main site.

2) I have a sound system, it is screwed to a false floor which is screwed to the trunk floor, does it still need to be removed...I would need to do this before I show up since it takes quite sometime to remove it. I don't think it is possible for it to move around at all, it was designed not to move :)

3) Is it ok if I come out and make an a** of myself making an attempt to race for the first time with a 5 speed and in a RWD platform? ok, just a joke but yeah, I'll be a good laugh.

thank you for all of your time.
Nah, Just a Nerd!

magilson

Post by magilson » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 am

g3joshua wrote:Ok, car is running. Test drove it up and down the dirt road up to about 60 today and everything is good, I think...you know how it goes. Inspection and tags are on tomorrows list...

Got a few other questions.

1) I don't have a "proper" helmet so how much are rentals? Sorry, looked but can't seem to find it on the main site.

2) I have a sound system, it is screwed to a false floor which is screwed to the trunk floor, does it still need to be removed...I would need to do this before I show up since it takes quite sometime to remove it. I don't think it is possible for it to move around at all, it was designed not to move :)

3) Is it ok if I come out and make an a** of myself making an attempt to race for the first time with a 5 speed and in a RWD platform? ok, just a joke but yeah, I'll be a good laugh.

thank you for all of your time.
1) OMR has 8 loaner helmets at each event. They are specially designed an maintained so as to encourage personal helmet purchase for those who really get hooked. I bought my own open faced helmet that complies with the SCCA rules for $45 at Gene's Gallery in Springfield, MO.

2) I think your best bet would be to remove it. Technically, if it is secure (and I mean secure), then you should be fine. But getting the weight out is better for the event and makes sure you don't have an issue at Tech Inspection.

3) Everyone, and I mean everyone, starts out at the bottom. Usually the first three events are spent learning to read cones at high speed. But it's a blast. You can drive like you wish you could on the street but in a far safer, more controlled environment. And it's always fun to ask a fellow competitor for a ride so you can learn what's going on. We have some really fast members who usually have an open passenger seat and an interest in helping others learn!
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI