new guy with a slow car

New Racers - The place to be for the n00b in all of us!

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

e36panda

new guy with a slow car

Post by e36panda » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:29 pm

Hey guys. Names Kile, Im a mechanic on FLW, and I drive a slow bmw.

its a green 1993 325is 5 speed to be exact, but the details arent important. Its slow and handles like a brick. only mods are Vogtland springs on Tokiko blues, Comsos racing intake, and a dinan ecu chip.

I've been meaning to start tracking my car since the day I got it. I love driving slow cars fast, its way more fun than driving a fast car slow. im by no stretch a great driver (good maybe... I can usually avoid accidents. Usually) and I'd like to learn the potential of my car on the relatively safe, and more importantly legal, track... Or parking lot with cones. Its all gravy.

Um... thats about all I can think of. Oh yeah I also own a 72 Datsun 1200 Im currently restoring, and a sweet 1987 Dodge Aires wagon with more rust than the Titanic.
My life is held together with zip ties and hope... just like my cars

magilson

Post by magilson » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:22 am

Well we just happen to have a proving grounds reserved for this coming Sunday. Will we see you there?
Matt Gilson
06 United Gray GTI

JimR

Post by JimR » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:50 am

If you have a roadworthy Chrysler K-Car, you don't have to mention that you're a mechanic. It's implied. I have scarred childhood memories of a disco bronze Reliant. ;)

The E36 is a popular autocross car, and can run up front in several classes with a decent setup and driver. They're a great platform to sharpen your autocross and track skills.

If your BMW has limited slip, it sounds like it will be in the STX class (E36 LSD was clutch type, I think?). If it's open diff, it can go into the ST class. These "Street Touring" classes are a street tire class that allow a lot of popular modifications. You can download the rulebook here:

http://scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules/20 ... _Rules.pdf

I'm guessing FLW = Fort Leonard Wood? Our first event is in Neosho, but we also have many this year in Ozark, just South of Springfield. If you can make it this Sunday, then come on down. It will be worth the drive.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

e36panda

Post by e36panda » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:03 pm

Yep, FLW is Ft Leonard Wood. Fail Leonard Wood, Fort Lost in the woods... that place. :lol:

I wish I could make it out some time soon, but due to the nature of my job, I hardly ever get weekend days off. I'll have to request a day off a few weeks in advance, but I will try to make it to more than a few events this year. The stock LSD in the 3er was a clutch type IIRC. Oh well, STX sounds fun! I've still got a few things to do to my car before I want to even think about putting it on a track though. FDM is the first thing. Last thing I want to do is replace a radiator before I need to. Then some good rear shock mounts... mine are 2000 miles old and already shot.

here are my vehicles to get an idea of what i actually drive.

the datsun the day i bought it

the pimpwagon
Some friends and I took that thing to New Orleans LA and back one weekend. Nothing beats driving 12 hours 1 way, staying for breakfast and leaving at lunchtime for another 12 hour trip back lol.

and the BuMW
its green... my brother got the white balance or something off when he took the picture... IDK im no photographer.
My life is held together with zip ties and hope... just like my cars