New guy here.

New Racers - The place to be for the n00b in all of us!

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

FireshakerX

New guy here.

Post by FireshakerX » Mon May 04, 2009 7:34 pm

Hello,
My name is Clayton Fireshaker. I drive a 93' Plymouth Laser 1.8L 5spd (slow I know) I'm usually into drag racing but since I'm driving this slow car I figured I would try some Autocross.

I have no idea where to even start. I have never even seen an Autocross event in person before. So I was hoping some of you guys could point me towards the light.

I have a few questions on the rules and regulations for Autocrossing.

My car is stock other than the normal intake and exhaust.. I plan on lowering the car, and stiffening up the suspension and maybe putting in a 5 point harness at some point.

What is/is not allowed to be on your vehicle wile at an autocross event? What class would I run in?

I'm afraid I'm going to be horribly slow my first time. :oops: Hopefully you guys won't laugh to hard. :lol:

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,
Clayton

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Mon May 04, 2009 9:44 pm

Clayton, you should start by completely reading through the Event Information and Novice Guide on the left hand side of the home page http://www.omrscca.org/. There is a ton of great info there and it will answer so many of your questions. Some important points are:

-- Show up early, it will give you more time to learn what you are supposed to be doing and don't be afraid to ask what you can do to help. If you didn't already know this you will be required to work the opposite heat of which you run just as everyone else is.

-- Bring your Drivers License, a safe car, and preferably your own helmet. If you are under 18yrs old you must have both parents sign a minor release form and one parent must stay the duration of the event.
My car is stock other than the normal intake and exhaust.. I plan on lowering the car, and stiffening up the suspension and maybe putting in a 5 point harness at some point.

What is/is not allowed to be on your vehicle wile at an autocross event? What class would I run in?
Located in the Cars and Rules is a link to the 2009_Solo_Rules.pdf so you can read the Category Sections to see what class your car would be in. It is ultimately the responsibility each competitor to classify their own car, but from your brief description I would think you should read over the Street Touring Category section, as long as you have wheels <7.5" wide and tires with a treadwear numerically higher than 140 (unless you have other mods than what you mentioned). I will give you the warning, be sure to pay attention to the rules before modifying your car because sometimes things that you would not think would be much of a performance advantage can bump you up several classes.

Don't worry about being to slow your first time out, everyone is slow the first time they try this. You don't need to make all of the improvements that you want to do with the car before the first event you come to, just make sure the car is safe. When you come to the first event be sure to listen to the advice given, try to get a ride along with someone in a similar car, and most importantly enjoy yourself. Don't get to hung up on how fast everyone else is going because if you finish the day going quicker you should consider that a success.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

FireshakerX

Post by FireshakerX » Tue May 05, 2009 7:54 am

Thanks for the reply!

I have no mods other than from the back of the front seats to the rear of the car is all stripped out. I've got larger rims and tires than what came on the car stock also. That is all i have for now.

When is the next two events? I would like to try to attend them. I can buy a weekend pass once I get to the track or do I have to buy it a head of time?

Also, how many times do you get to run threw the day?

Why T

Post by Why T » Tue May 05, 2009 8:52 am

Again there is an events and Autocross calender on the home page. You will buy your weekend pass once you get there.

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue May 05, 2009 11:12 am

I don't know to what extent you've stripped the interior, but with the sound deadening, panels, seats, etc., in place, you would be in Street Touring (class letters "ST"). As is, it sounds like E-Prepared (class letters "EP").

I wouldn't worry about class right now, though. The best thing to do now is learn, have fun, and meet new people.

We usually aim for six runs, and have been able to offer than almost every time for the last year. Weather, high turnout, etc., may require adjustment, but we want to maximize seat time.

Show up with some time to spare on Sunday, May 24, and get acclimated. Like Matt mentioned, the novice guide will get you the basics.

http://www.omrscca.org/index.php?option ... &Itemid=56

Make note that you'll need to bring a valid driver's license and a car in safe running condition. Also, if you or anyone with you is under 18, a guardian will have to sign a SCCA minor wavier.

See you there.
Jim Rowland - Your friendly OMR volunteer at large
'92 Sentra SE-R / '15 FR-S / '04 Silverado HD

FireshakerX

Post by FireshakerX » Thu May 07, 2009 10:14 am

This is what i mean by striped.

Also, my windshield got cracked yesterday am I able to race with it cracked or do i need to get it fixed before I race?

FireshakerX

Post by FireshakerX » Thu May 14, 2009 6:09 am

Am I able to run with a cracked windshield or do I need to replace it before I race?

SilverYota

Post by SilverYota » Thu May 14, 2009 11:20 am

Am I able to run with a cracked windshield or do I need to replace it before I race?

I have never done tech before, but would guess that if your windshield was cracked badly enough that it would not pass an Missouri State Inspection that you probably wouln't be allowed to run. Even if it is a small crack is it really worth taking a chance? The extra stress that a Solo2 event will put on it would probably make it much worse if not totally ruin your windshield. Personally I would suggest getting it changed out before competing. I wouldn't want my day cut short by a spider webbed windshield, nor would I enjoy paying the windshield shop to come swap it out in the parking lot if something was to happen.
Matt Longpine
'88 MR2

FireshakerX

Post by FireshakerX » Thu May 14, 2009 12:10 pm

The windshield is already spidered out but it's not cracked all the way threw, I can feel the cracks on the out side but not on the inside. It passed inspection but i dunno if it'll pass tech or not. I'm gonna start looking around and getting it replaced.