quantum conundrum?

SCCA technical discussions and classing discussions.

Moderators: flogger, SilverYota, JimR, Thorox

g3joshua

quantum conundrum?

Post by g3joshua » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:29 am

So we have been trying to get ready to hit up the next race. While I have been doing this I have also been looking to replace my factory wheels, here enlies my question.

Rule book (stock class) says widths of wheels have to match that of factory (basically?). Does that mean I have to put that "said" width on the front and that width of the rear? If width is 9" on rear, but 8" on the front. Can I put 9" wide all the way around?

Also, if a factory upgrade option included 10" wide on the rear, can I place 10" wide wheels on the rear, even though mine did not have that particular factory option (option applies to same year as vehicle)?

Reason I ask, I don't have enough room to haul my factory wheels up with me if this would knock me out of the stock category, I would have to change them before I make the drive.

Thank you very much, and I'm sure this is the last question I need to ask.
Nah, Just a Nerd!

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:46 am

Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
it is the same width and diameter as standard, and as installed (including
wheel spacers if applicable) it does not have an offset more than
+/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in
track dimensions is allowed.
Wheel spacers are permitted, provided the resultant combination complies
with the offset requirements of this section. Wheel studs, lug nuts,
and/or bolt length may be changed.
From my understanding that is not negotiable. When I ran HS in my Civic I could run 13X5 or 14X6 because 14s were an option on my year model. We had a "protest" one year over wheel width because the stock rims on a car were 6" but the aftermarket replacement rims were 6.5" which made them illegal. IMO Front 8" and Rear 10" is the best you can do and be stock by the rules.
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing

flogger

Post by flogger » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:03 am

Eddie's right wrt your front wheels maxing at 8" width in SCCA SOLO stock class. In addition, it's my understanding that unless you have the full option package that came with the 10" wheels, then you are going to have to run 9" in the rear. Keep in mind, though, that I'm not normally a stock class participant, so I haven't exactly memorized their rules.

Here's a pdf of the rules so you can see for yourself.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... 0Rules.pdf

Hope this helps.

BTW, what kind of car are we talking about here?
Scott Woosley

g3joshua

Post by g3joshua » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:43 am

Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within a particular model year. Such conversions must be totally complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section.
Yes, I can do a conversion. As the above statement in the opening statement of the stock category section says. But, what I missed out on, was the conversion (ei: to wider wheels) must be done in a complete fashion. So basically if I stepped up the size on the rear to meet a specific factory package, I would have change the front to meet that package also. That is at least how I see it working along with the specific information within the wheels modification section inside the Stock category.
Nah, Just a Nerd!

Unstable

Post by Unstable » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:33 am

Yes complete conversions. Like my wanting to run a rear sway bar in HS but I would have optioned the car to an LX or Si to run it. That is why I moved up to FSP and because some good ole boy named Sam Henry had some good R compound take offs for cheap. :wink:
Crazy Eddie Hall :: '92 Civic HB red (Pepe' - my lil' mule) :: XP #97 & PF #97:: Team Krazo Racing